The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
James Anderson House
The James Anderson House was likely built in the 1860s. The two-storey farmhouse was constructed of triple brick in a 5-bay Italianate style, with double-arched windows above the center hall front door.
The first known owner of Lot 13 was Archibald Steele, who sold the property to James Anderson, the “Laird of Puslinch,” in 1861. Anderson was known as a “gentleman farmer,” meaning he would only oversee the farmwork by hired help, rather than doing any of the physical labour himself. He sold the “Springfield” farm in 1909.
The James Anderson House is historically associated with livestock breeding, wholesale purchases of farm equipment, and the Puslinch Farmer’s Club.