The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
James Orme House and Barns
The James Orme House was built in 1854, possibly by Peter Hume, a Scottish stonemason who lived nearby. It is an early and significant fieldstone and granite Georgian style house in the Puslinch Township. In addition to the two-storey Georgian farmhouse, Orme also started a farm on the property.
Of particular note is the associated large fieldstone barn (1868) and the stone stable (1871). A stone piggery, later demolished, formed the third arm of this traditional enclosed farmyard.
James Orme had emigrated from Scotland to Farnham Plains in 1832, purchasing Lots 7 to 9.
The property is historically associated with Scottish immigration and the settlement of Arkell. It is extremely agriculturally significant to Puslinch and Arkell, and is even cited in Canadian literature on barns.