A First-Nations village was located by Morriston Pond when the European settlers arrived and a small settlement named Elgin developed. In 1849 it became known as Morriston after Scotsman R. B. Morrison who built a frame store on the east side of Brock Road in the village at that time.
Ice blocks were cut from the pond each winter to supply ice to the village and local farms up until electricity was introduced and refrigerators came into common use after the Second World War. In the summer, the pond provided a place for the villagers to cool off and paddle about in small boats.
Many native plants can still be found in and around the pond, once a source for medicines and foodfor the First Nations people who lived there in previous centuries.