Skip to content

Township of Puslinch, 7404 Wellington Road 34, Puslinch, Ontario N0B 2J0

Shop Local Puslinch is now live!

Minimize the impact of COVID-19 and support local businesses by purchasing gift cards.

Shop Gift Cards Now

Building & Renovation

If you’re considering a renovation on your property or are interested in building a new structure or addition, the Township of Puslinch must approve your plans and provide you with a building permit before you can start construction or demolition. Property owners are also responsible for obtaining locates for all utilities/services prior to digging.

The processes below protect the interests of both homeowners and the community, ensuring that new structures and structural changes are safe, legal, and sound.

Building Permits
Swimming Pool Enclosure Permits
Septic Permits
Utility/Service Locates

Building Permits

Our Building Officials work with builders and property owners to ensure that building codes are met, and that every structure built in the Township of Puslinch is built safely.

In the Township of Puslinch, our Building Officials:

  • Review and approve building permits;
  • Ensure that building permit applications comply with current zoning regulations; and
  • Enforce the Township’s building and property standards by-laws.

Building Permit Fees and Development Charges

What is a building permit?

A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction. It means that plans for any new structure, addition or renovation have been reviewed by the Township, for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, the local zoning bylaws and any other applicable laws and regulations. If you’re not the property owner, you will be required to have the property owner fill out the building permit owner authorization application.

When is a building permit required?

The Ontario Building Code Act (1992) requires a building permit when a person constructs or demolishes a building or causes a building to be constructed or demolished.

Definition of a building:

  • A structure occupying an area greater than ten square metres (107 square feet) consisting of a wall, roof, and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works, fixtures, and service systems pertaining to the listed above;
  • A structure occupying an area of ten square metres or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing pertaining to the above mentioned;
  • Plumbing not located in a structure;
  • A sewage system; or
  • Structures designated in the building code.

Buildings that don’t require a building permit in the Township of Puslinch:

  • A detached shed that is not more than 15 m2 (161.46 sf), not more than one storey in building height, does not have plumbing, and is used only for storage purposes;
  • A fence (i.e. chain link, wood, wrought iron);
  • Removing the kitchen cupboards and replacing with new cupboards,
  • Installing new shingles on existing roof;
  • Removing a non-load bearing wall in a single, semi-detached or townhouse dwelling;
  • Replacing a fixture (i.e. toilet, bathtub, or sink) with a new fixture; or
  • A detached deck that is 10′ x 10′.

Buildings that require a building permit in the Township of Puslinch:

  • A detached shed that is 15′ x 11′ including roof overhangs;
  • A retaining wall that is greater than 3′ x 3′ in height;
  • Renovation projects where plumbing fixtures are added or relocated;
  • Removing a load bearing wall, column, lintel or beam;
  • Renovations including finishing of unfinished basements (Note: if bedroom, code stipulates window sizes for emergency egress);
  • Building an attached deck, or any deck greater than 10 metres square (108 square feet);
  • Adding a woodstove or fireplace;
  • Installing a swimming pool (above or in-ground) or
  • Demolishing a building.

Permit requirements (all types)

  • Please complete all the applicable pages of the application through Cloudpermit. No matter what type of permit you are submitting, the Township will only accept a complete application. If there is something missing, we will put the application status back to draft and ask you to resubmit when it is complete.
  • The site plan must be to scale (3:16) scaled and dimensioned.
  • A grading plan is required for all properties in a subdivision, and/or at the Chief Building Official’s request.  
  • Once approved and stamped, you will need to have your permit package printed (in colour). The approved drawings must stay on site and must be available to our building inspectors when they are called to your property for inspections.
  • Permit fees are due at the time of application. Development charges and Cash In Lieu of Parkland are collected when the permit is issued. Fees vary according the type of permit you are submitting.
  • If you have recently purchased your property please ensure you submit the title transfer documents with you to show ownership, in case we have not received them yet.
  • If you are submitting an application for a Single Family Dwelling – you have to submit the septic permit application at the same time (two separately submitted permits on Cloudpermit). The Township will not accept one without the other.
  • An Authorization Form signed by the property owner must be submitted if you are applying for the permit and you are not the owner.
  • We will verify BCIN numbers. Please ensure you provide the proper names, and numbers. Your permit could be delayed if we cannot confirm this information.

How to apply for a building permit

The Township would like to make the building permit application process as simple as possible for you. Please review the following information before you submit your application. If you have questions, or need further clarification, please feel free to contact us.

Fill out and submit a Building Permit Application in Cloudpermit

Submitting your building permit application will take some time, but in Cloudpermit you can start the application and finish it later – anywhere at any time.

There are different requirements for different types of permits. Review the specific guidelines for the permit you’re seeking before applying:

* NEW * – Our Building Permit Application process is now Online!

The Township is pleased to offer builders and residents the convenience of applying for a building permit online using Cloudpermit.

Cloudpermit allows you to apply for and check the status of your application anywhere, at any time. You can start an application and finish it later, receive email updates on the status of your permit application and even request building inspections.


Use the documents below to help you get started in Cloudpermit.

Things to remember –
Dashboard – At any point you can return to “My Dashboard” page to see which applications you have made and if the Township is waiting for information from you to process your application further.

Delete – You can delete your application at any time by using the “Select Action” drop-down menu at the top of the page.

If you need help you can visit Cloudpermit support for answers to commonly asked questions. You can also contact our Building Services department at or calling 519-763-1226 ext 181 during business hours.

Before submitting your building permit application, be sure to check if your property is under the regulation of any applicable law.

When you are ready to apply for a building permit through Cloudpermit, click on the below button:

Swimming Pool Enclosure Permits

Swimming pool permits have different requirements. You can complete your application through Cloudpermit.

Information Guide

Septic Permits

Please submit a separate building permit application for septic systems through Cloudpermit

Sewage System Information Guideline

When should I expect a tax bill from my building permit?

Once your project has been completed, the Township will send completed permit, or occupancy permit information to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). This will result in additional assessment value being added to your property. Property owners are cautioned that the full assessment of a property may not be determined by MPAC until well after the physical changes to a property have been completed. This change can be backdated to the date of the change to a maximum of three years. More information is provided on our property taxes frequently asked questions page.

Service/Utility Locates

As a contractor or homeowner, you are responsible for obtaining locates for all utilities/services prior to digging. These services include gas pipelines, electrical services, telephone and cable TV as well as your water and septic connections. Ontario One will confirm which utility company they provide locate services for. You are responsible for directly contacting utility providers, who are not members of Ontario One Call.

Ontario One Call is a free 24/7 service that helps homeowners make sure their digging location is safe before beginning a project. You can reach them toll-free at 1 (800) 400 – 2255

Natural gas in the Township of Puslinch is provided by Enbridge/Union Gas.

Questions related to Building & Renovation matters?

Contact the Customer Service Coordinator 1
tel. (519) 763-1226 ext. 100

See Directory

Documents on this Page