The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
John Hammersley House
The John Hammersley House was built around 1859 with granite and limestone trim. The one-and-a-half storey Ontario House style residence has a central gable and is double walled. Other notable details include the fanned lintel stones over the gable window and the delicate bargeboard on the front façade. In 1980, a stone addition was built where the original summer kitchen once stood.
John Hammersley had come from England in 1831. Hammersley acted as the first Treasurer and the first Clerk of the Division Court in Puslinch, and was Captain in the militia in the Mackenzie Rebellion (1837-1838). Hammersley received the deed to Lot 19 in 1838. This residence was one of the earliest stone houses to be built along the old Brock Road.
The property is historically associated with municipal development and military activities in early Puslinch.