The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
William McDonald House
The William McDonald House was built around 1880 of natural fieldstone. The unusual two-storey Neoclassic residence had its origins as a shoemaker shop and roadhouse, with the dining and pub area turned into the living room. The William McDonald House has a large entranceway, covered porch, and commercial windows. There is a fieldstone fence which lines the yard. The William McDonald House is located behind the Knox Presbyterian Church in Crieff.
The name “Gartland” was given to the residence when Colonel J.B. McLean purchased the building for his gardener and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gartland.
The property is historically associated with Colonel J.B. McLean, as well as commerce in Crieff and Puslinch.