The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
The Morriston Hotel was built in 1860. Prior to 1860, Alex Ochs had built a frame hotel, which was then purchased by the McPherson family. After a fire in 1860, Donald McPherson replaced the wood frame with a stone structure. The rare two-storey Georgian/Neoclassic building has a woodshed and ice house built to the rear of the hotel. To keep the hotel bar chilled in the warmer months, blocks of ice would be cut from the Morriston Pond in the winter and stored in the ice house.
In 1904, Copenhagen-born John Vogt purchased the hotel and re-named it the “Morriston Hotel.” As of 2011, renovations include a new roof, storm windows and doors, as well as a replaced wrought-iron railing for the balcony. The original doors with transoms have been preserved.
The property is historically associated with Puslinch hostelry and the community of Morriston. The Morriston Hotel is currently a private residence.