The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
Duncan McFarlane House
The Duncan McFarlane House was built in 1870. Duncan McFarlane Sr. had a fieldstone and granite farmhouse built in a Georgian style, commissioning Peter Hume as the stonemason on the project. Hume used stones from the farm as well as huge limestone slabs from Georgetown to construct the farmhouse’s quoins and lintels. The Duncan McFarlane House, has 3-bays, Edinburgh coursing, and H-patterned connectors, which means there are two smaller stones set vertically beside a larger one.
McFarlane’s descendants owned the property for many generations. As of 2000, the house has had replacement windows to complement the colour of the re-pointed fieldstone.
The McFarlane House is associated with the early political and commercial history of Puslinch and Aberfoyle.