The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
German Evangelical Church
The German Evangelical Church or “Mount Carmel Zion United Church” was built in 1856 by the community of Morriston. The church was originally constructed in an Italianate style, with local bi-chrome brick and Gothic windows. In the 1880s, German masons Karl Beese and his son William made renovations with red brick expanding the church. Renovations included new elements such as articulated columns around the front entrance and salt-and-pepper bricks in the quoins at the structure corners.
Worship services were spoken in German until 1917.
The property is historically associated with the Morriston brickyard, German immigration, and German culture in Morriston.