The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
Andrew McRobbie House
The Andrew McRobbie House was built in 1851 in a Georgian style, constructed with fieldstones from the property. After a fire in 1914, the house went under extensive renovations. The previously side-gabled roof was raised eighteen inches and a central gable added, adopting a much more Ontario House style. Despite the changes, the Andrew McRobbie House has retained much of its original splendor. Beautiful and extensive gardens surround the house, complementing the property.
The McRobbie brothers had emigrated from Perthshire, Scotland, having been forced to leave their homeland as a result of the Highland Clearances. Andrew McRobbie came to Canada around 1833, spending two years working in Lower Canada, now Quebec. The McRobbie brothers purchased four adjoining properties in Puslinch. Andrew McRobbie built the stone house on Lot 23 and Part Lot 24 of Rear Concession 10.
The property is historically associated with Highland Scottish immigration as well as the settlement and community of Corwhin.