The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
Murdoch & Kenneth Munroe House
The Murdoch and Kenneth Munroe House was built around 1860. The one-and-a-half storey fieldstone store was constructed with soldier lintels above the doors and windows, large stone quoins, a non-gabled roof and a simple entrance door. The non-gabled roof and simple entrance architecture indicates 1860s construction. Later additions include a single storey west wing, a Gothic window gable above the front entrance, and a sympathetic log cabin addition on the northern side.
In 1842, Rosshire-born blacksmiths Murdoch Munroe and his brother Kenneth purchased Lot 26 from John McPherson. The Munroe brothers operated a blacksmith shop on the north edge of the property, across from the Henry Becker family store. The Munroes had lived in a log house east of the present stone farmhouse.
The property is historically associated with Scottish immigration and the history of Crieff.