The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
Duff’s Presbyterian Church/East Presbyterian Church
The East Presbyterian Church in Puslinch was built in 1854 of Guelph dolomite. Dr. Alexander Duff was a zealous pioneer missionary from the Church of Scotland, who preached there, and the church was subsequently re-named “Duff’s Presbyterian Church.” In 1903, Morriston-based stonemason John Hingleman built a Norman-style tower with lancet windows into the entrance of the original one-storey stone structure, being notably sympathetic to the original stonework, and matching it as closely as possible. Gaelic services were held at the church until the late nineteenth century. The Crown Cemetery across the road is associated with the church, the original log church was on what is now cemetery property.
Duff’s Presbyterian Church is historically associated with Scottish immigration and culture, Gaelic language, and the Crown Cemetery, which is located directly across the road.