The Digital Archive and complementary Interactive Heritage Register Map are initiatives to provide historical information regarding properties included on the Township’s Heritage Register. The Digital Archive only includes properties which have consented to include their heritage property on this archive.
We recognize that when the first Euro‐Canadian settlers arrived in what is now Puslinch Township, the Anishinaabe ancestors of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation had long established hunt camps in the area. Through written and verbal accounts we understand that the Anishinaabe interacted with the settlers in a friendly and cooperative manner. It is acknowledged that the development of the Township encroached upon their traditional way of life resulting in their displacement.
Donald Stewart House
The Donald Stewart House was built in 1874 by the Ritchie Brothers, who were stonemasons from Clyde. The one-and-a-half storey Ontario House style residence was constructed of granite and limestone. It displays a central gable with a Gothic window. Today, the Donald Stewart House has its original iron treillage, and is the only example of iron treillage in the Township. The ornamental treillage can be seen on the front porch and verandah.
Donald Stewart Sr. and his wife Catherine Cameron had emigrated from Perthshire, Scotland to settle in the Puslinch area in 1843. Stewart Sr. built the house for himself and his son Allan, who later remained on the property.
The property is historically associated with Scottish stonemasonry, Scottish immigration from Perthshire, and the settlement of Killean in Puslinch.